125422630_365415617855900_25624236506729
125451454_668215217196656_59695592708101
125369187_1081419175626035_2654021423153
125449091_664292167592244_45210014680615
125212396_932502927277404_60787374961269
125240400_379882556686273_29183376979373
125183925_379606199912321_88605394952151

Initial Sketches

I tried a ball and socket method for the head. A polystyrene ball sits in plastic basket and held in place with a band across the forehead

Armature

I used pieces of laser-cut mdf (from an old project) to create point which the armature is solid. A bolt and K&S tube hold the twisted wire through the centre of the puppet.

125799692_491335698465692_81462645300859
125364607_1600794670082590_1100654987689
125411183_759564924644205_22769302839588
125378858_410907373277965_31531539146586

Foam & Fabric Skinning

Layers of soft and tougher foam used to shape out the character.

I repeatedly re-pinned the fabric to get the best movement across the cats features. I also had to make sure it was connected to the armature in specific places to move with the body but not restrict it

Finishing

I used resin cast eyes, wire whiskers and a pink nose to add the expressive characteristics.

I deliberately chose the base fabric to be blue to contact the ginger colours I painted on top. The acrylic paint highlighted the texture of the puppet and I applied colours to emphasise stripes. Finally, a few additional pieces of fabric applied on top not flatten the surface.